Thursday, December 22, 2011

Feels so nice to be on vacation.  I've shopped at my leisure, watched the Today Show which is my favorite and although some people think I'm totally weird because I use cooking and baking as therapy some times, I've been planning my holiday menu!  This year I'm bringing 3 desserts for Noche Buena at my in-laws; Amaretto Bread Pudding, Guava Cheesecake and Snowballs.  My daughter made these treats.  We had never made these before and they were delicious.  I'm making a ham for Christmas but putting a twist to the recipe...I'm using cranberries and orange juice instead of pineapple.  Since I'm still working on the recipe, I will include it once I'm done and it's been tested ;-P

Snowballs
1/2 cup butter
1 can condensed milk
3 tbs baking cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups graham crackers crushed
3 1/2 cups flaked coconut (divided)
24-32 large marshmallows
Line a baking sheet with was paper.  In sauce pan combine the butter, milk, cocoa and vanilla.  Cook over medium heat and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in cracker crumbs and 1 1/2 cup coconut.  Let stand until cool.

Using moist hands, wrap 1 tbs of mixture around the marshmallow (like making a ball); roll in remaining coconut and place in pan.  Freeze in airtight container.  May be frozen for 2 months.
These are a fun treat...enjoy!

Guava Cheesecake
1 1/2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar; divided
6 tbs butter softened
3 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Guava marmalade
1 Can Guava Paste
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine wafers crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar and softened butter in a small bowl.  Pat the mixture into a 9 inch springform pan; set aside.
Cream softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, cream and vanilla in a mixing bowl.  Beat in eggs one at a time, beat well.
Pour over the crust; pour in guava and swirl with a knife, bake for 1 hour or until center is still slightly moist and jiggly.  Remove from oven and let cool on rack.
Spread guava paste over cheesecake evenly.  Bake 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven; place on rack to cool.  Refrigerate 1 hour.  When ready to serve remove sides from pan.  Walla!



No comments: